Wednesday, June 25, 2008

OUCH!

So, I realize I need to change my friend quotient because officially I do have friends here. My roommates count as does an old friend from college with whom I recently reconnected. In fact, she e-mailed me a few days ago and invited me to join her in trying this new kind of yoga. It's called Bikram Yoga (aka: Hot Yoga). It is certainly not new to the world but it was new to us. So, I agreed to try it out with her.

OH MY GOD!!

Sweating is an understatement for what happened to me.

First, we arrive and get checked in. They encourage people to wear the bare minimum (shorts and tank, but no cotton since it chafes.) You must bring a water bottle, mat, towel (or two) and an open mind. We were encouraged to enter the HOT room (temp is around 95 but with the humidity, it makes the room feel about 145 degrees.) The class starts out with some breathing (yeah, whatever...who doesn't know how to breathe?) and then quickly moves into various standing poses. Throughout this time, the instructor is explaining and telling people to move this, put your hips there, etc. I have never heard my name called so many times in 90 minutes. After the standing poses, we do some floor work and end with some more breathing. In reading this, it doesn't sound so difficult...BULLSHIT! I thought I was going to pass out about 50 times, I had to sit for half the class and I was so sweaty!! I did feel better that others sat at various times also although I think if the class was designed to just sit on your mat in a hot, steamy room for 90 minutes then I would have won.

After class, I showered as I had plans to meet Keisha who was in visiting family from Chicago. When I walked out, the instructor gave the new people some information on what to expect to feel after your first class (lightheaded and STILL sweaty), a class schedule (I have to come back to this?) and a little packet of electrolytes to add to my water since I had eliminated them ALL form my body. He was very supportive and praised my attempts. He, of course, encouraged me to come back and briefly told me about his first time which made me feel a little better (even is he was just blowing smoke up my ass.)

So, the million dollar question....am I going back? The jury is still out. My stubborn side feels I should give it another shot but the dehydration headache I have today says, "HELL NO."

We'll see...

2 comments:

that girl said...

I just laughed out loud--thanks!

I've taken some hot yoga classes. It's wild, isn't it, how much you can sweat? My clothes were soaking wet! But it was satisfying, until the headache came.

My advice is to drink water like a camel all day until an hour before the class and to take a water bottle with only ice for a constant supply of cold water. It really makes a difference!

Must have been a fancy place, since they were giving out electrolytes! Ooolala! I had to rebuild my supply all on my own.

Christie said...

Yes, it was very fancy minus the fact that you CANNOT leave the room during class since the only staff there is the teacher. So I guess if you pass out, you are on your own until downward dog is finished!!!

I definitely need to drink more water throughout the day.